Complaint information
  • Author: Nicci
  • Date: 05.15.2008
  • 0
 (Votes #: 0)

Integrated Payment Systems
Money order refund

This is a Complaint / Review about Integrated Payment Systems.

I have a $400.00 money order for my car payment floating around somewhere in Denver. I sent a $15.00 money order for stop payment, the back of the money order receipt and a copy of the money order that I made after I filled it out. I mailed all of that to Integrated Payment Systems on April 15th, 2008. I called and could never reach a live person until today, but their automated systems says that my money order STILL has not been cashed NOR a stop payment has been put on it. I sent them a certified letter on April 25, 2008, which they received April 28th and I still have had NO response. The Receptionist that I reached today told me to fax my documents to two different people there. Their fax # in Processing is 720.332.0656 and their phone # is 720.332.1000 and press zero to reach the Receptionist! Their physical address is 6200 South Quebec Street, Suite 340, Greenwood Village, CO 80111. They have an "unsatisfactory" standing with the Denver Better Business Bureau and you can see that at I filed an online complaint against them as well and will be faxing my documents to them as soon as I get home today. Postal money orders or cashier's checks are the way to go! I will NEVER buy a money order handled by Integrated Payment Systems again!

Thank You for reading of this Complaint / Review. For viewing of other complaints, reviews or scam reports about Integrated Payment Systems, press here.
Complaint author: Nicci

Offender: Integrated Payment Systems

Country: USA
State: Colorado
City: Greenwood Village

Category: Business & Finance

Dear visitor, you have entered to site as unregistered user.
We recommend you to Register or Login to website under your name.

Members of Guest cannot leave comments.

USACONSUMERCOMPLAINTS.COM - United States Consumer Complaints, Reviews, Reports, Feedbacks and Claims. Board of Shame. Black list.

Every consumer of goods and services can leave on the site USACONSUMERCOMPLAINTS.COM a complaint, review, report, a claim or negative feedback on the person, firm, company, shop, service or web-based project, whose actions left this consumer dissatisfied.